UK Tour 2012

Map image: mellowmint
Recently, Markus and I came back from a whirlwind trip through England and Scotland. It was a dream come true and I was finally able to experience Britain like a native. 

The first stop on our itinerary was Edinburgh in Scotland. I was completely blown away. When Markus and I went to London for our second honeymoon in 2006, I never thought I would love a city more. I was completely wrong. I've fallen in love with almost every city we've visited, but Edinburgh quickly became my favorite city in the UK. 

Edinburgh was not only beautiful but there was so much to do. We were only there for three days, so we didn't get to explore as much as I wanted, but it was enough to leave me wanting more. Markus and I are already planning to go back one day and spend our entire time in Scotland. 

After Scotland, we spent the rest of the trip traipsing about various cities in England. It was exciting to see other cities in England. Our friends, Ari and James, were very adamant about showing us the "real" England. They said that many people rarely venture away from Southern England much less London. They think that London is England, but there is so much more. It's like saying New York City is America, when we all know that every state is unique.

We went to Manchester, Stoke-on-Trent, Oxford, Lake District, Peak District and of course, London. After seeing other cities in England and then going back to London, I have to admit that I was a bit underwhelmed. London was the first international city I visited and I think I had a romantic view of that experience. Don't get me wrong, I still love it. It's an amazing place and if I could afford it, I would love to live there. Although, it's no longer my first choice. 

This trip to the UK was an eye opener. It showed me that even though you think you know a place, it can still surprise you. This is why I love about traveling. Cities are always changing and evolving. You can visit a place one year and then when you visit again, it's completely different. I love being surprised. You always think you know what you love, but there are other places and things that you didn't even know existed and you never knew a piece of you was missing until you go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...